Daman, the Old Portuguese Township is encompassed by a massive fort
known as Daman Fort. Its ten bastions and two gateways were constructed
in 1559 and it is ringed by a moat liked to the river.
Fort of Nani Daman
Jerome’s Fort, also known as Fort of Nani Daman is less grand but is
more famous for its beautiful chapel of Our Lady of the Sea. The chapel
has a delicate, classical facade of 12 columns crowned with a cross.
The gateway of this large fort is adorned with a statue of St Jerome and two human figures.
light house is located to the north of Daman Fort. One can have a fine
view of the Gulf of Cambay from the top of this light house.
The majestic Diu Fort is situated on the eastern end of the island, dominating the town. Built in 1535, the fort was the lifeline for Portuguese establishment in Diu. The impressive double moat, old canons are its main attractions. A splendid view of the sunset can be seen from this fort.
Nagar Seth Haveli
retains a distinctly Portuguese atmosphere including churches and
mansions. Nagar Seth Haveli is particularly outstanding with its carved
balconies and stone lions.